Campus: Druid Hills in Atlanta
Namesake: George Foster Pierce
Purpose: Campus road
Pierce Drive honors George Foster Pierce, who served as Emory's third president, from 1848 to 1854, after first serving as Wesleyan College president for four years and as an English professor at Emory.
He left the Emory presidency to become a Methodist bishop but later helped to raise money for four buildings erected in 1875 -- Language Hall, Humanities Hall, the Day Chapel, and another lecture hall that has since been razed.
Pierce Drive runs through the center of campus near the student center and the School of Medicine.
There is also a Pierce Street on the Oxford College campus in Oxford.