Campus: Clairmont in Atlanta
Namesake: The Hardman family
Dates: 1825 | 1986
Purpose: Green space
Up the hill from Starvine Way between the Clifton Child Care Center and the Starvine parking deck, the Hardman Cemetery is largely hidden in a grove of trees.
The cemetery dates to 1825, when settler Naman Hardman, who owned the land that is now Clairmont Campus, buried an infant daughter, Rody. Other family members joined her over the years, and members of the Houston family, the Powell family, and other early pioneers of DeKalb County are buried here.
Emory acquired the property as part of the purchase of an aging apartment complex in 1986.