Goodrich C. White

President 1942-1957Goodrich C. White
Chancellor 1957-1979

  • Serves as dean of Emory College and of the graduate school, then as Emory''s first vice president, before becoming president
  • Triples the size of the faculty, launches the first PhD programs, and acquires an existing dental school
  • Oversees construction including six classroom buildings, five residence halls, a hospital addition, a new student center, a research building, the Administration Building, The Emory Clinic, several fraternities, and Emory's first parking deck
  • During his presidency, Emory acquires the Yerkes Primate Research Center and helps arrange for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's location adjacent to campus
  • Elected as United Chapters of Phi Beta Kappa president
  • Serves on U.S. President Harry Truman's Commission on Higher Education