Today in History
January 1, 1919: Franklin Parker becomes the second dean of the School of Theology following Dean Plato Tracy Durham's resignation.
January 2, 1993: Saralyn Chesnut begins appointment as first director of the Office of Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender Life.
January 3, 1981: A fire of undetermined origin burns for two days, consuming the "fireproof" Haygood Hall on the Oxford campus. No one is injured.
January 4, 1966: Emory students, together with students from other Georgia campuses, including Agnes Scott College, Georgia Institute of Technology, Oglethorpe University, Georgia State University, and Spelman College, launch "Affirmation: Vietnam," a movement to express support for U.S. military action in South Vietnam.
January 5, 1833: The Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church pledges support to an academy in Cullodensville (now Culloden), with the intention of transitioning the institution into a manual labor school. Ignatius Few is appointed as member of a committee to oversee this process.
January 6, 1955: The Emory Wheel reports that Duke Ellington and his orchestra will perform at the spring Dooley's Frolics.
January 7, 1852: The town of Oxford expands its boundaries to exclude "the baneful influences of liquor shops" from the reach of students.
January 8, 1901: The Emory faculty discusses adding the requirement of American history to the entrance examinations.
January 9, 1950: Dooley, a biology lab skeleton who safeguards the Spirit of Emory, makes an appearance to meet with Boris Karloff, the actor famous for his role as Frankenstein's monster.
January 10, 2000: The trial of 'David Irving vs. Penguin Books and Lipstadt' begins. Irving, a denier of the Holocaust, sued Emory professor Deborah Lipstadt for libel over her book, "Denying the Holocaust: The Growing Assault on Truth and Memory." Lipstadt ultimately wins the trial and writes "History on Trial: My Day in the Court with David Irving."
January 11, 1940: To the confusion of many, the skeleton named Dooley appears on campus for a dance hosted by the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. This is the first "live" appearance of Dooley, who safeguards the Spirit of Emory. All of his previous appearances were confined to the pages of campus publications.
January 12, 1916: An interim board of trustees adopts the first bylaws of Emory University.
January 13, 1834: Ignatius Few, the future first president of Emory, presents a report to the Georgia Methodist Conference proposing the establishment of a manual labor school associated with the conference.
January 14, 1897: The fifth president of Emory College, James Thomas, dies. He led Emory to its first balanced budget and through the tumultuous years of the Civil War.
January 15, 1948: What may be the longest conga line to grace Emory's grounds is formed at a dance sponsored by the Independent Council.
January 16, 1955: Candler School of Theology, representing the Methodist Church, joins in the founding of the Protestant Radio and Television Center on Clifton Road.
January 17, 1942: The Emily Winship Woodruff Maternity Center is opened in what later becomes Emory University Hospital Midtown. "This center is dedicated to medical science in the fight it is waging to lower mortality rates among mothers."
January 18, 1836: The Georgia Methodist Conference requests a charter for the founding and endowment of a college that will function as an extension of the manual labor school.
January 19, 1896: Atticus Haygood, eighth president of Emory College, dies. He delivered the "New South" sermon that inspired New York banker George Seney to make a pivotal donation to the school.
January 20, 1964: Candler School of Theology celebrates its semi-centenary with a series of distinguished lecturers and the awarding of five honorary degrees.
January 21, 1947: More than 2,000 Emory students and faculty members join other Atlantans at the Georgia State Capitol to protest the governorship of segregationist Herman Talmadge amid disputed claims to power.
January 22, 1955: Frank Clemmons (1957T) is the last student to move out of the former barracks on campus. According to the Emory Wheel, these dormitories, erected in response to an influx of students on the GI Bill, were greatly unpopular, earning nicknames like "Mudville" and "Lower Slobbovia."
January 23, 1940: In anticipation of the Winter Frolics, Dooley (the biology lab skeleton who safeguards the Spirit of Emory) phones the Emory Wheel office to announce: "From now on, this is my party."
January 24, 1939: Samuel Candler Dobbs grants $1 million unconditionally to Emory College of Arts and Sciences. The gift is part of the University Center campaign, a collaborative effort among universities in the Atlanta area to consolidate and share educational resources.
January 25, 1915: Judge C.S. Reid of DeKalb County grants a charter to Emory University.
January 26, 1998: Emory names Thomas Robertson as dean of the Gozieuta Business School, the same year the school receives a $20 million gift from the estate of the late Coca-Cola Company chairman Roberto C. Goizueta.
January 27, 1942: Emory appeals to students to cut their consumption of Coca-Cola in half, as the federal government rations sugar during World War II.
January 28, 1958: Grady Memorial Hospital, one of the centers of training for the School of Medicine, moves into a new building with updated facilities.
January 29, 1996: Theater Emory premieres "The Trap," by Emory alumnus and Charles Howard Candler Professor of Renaissance Literature Frank Manley.
January 30, 1947: The Emory Wheel announces that Helen Chappell White, wife of Emory's president, will be one of the authors featured in an upcoming book, "Meditations for Women."
January 31, 1921: Emory holds its first Stunt Night, a variety show featuring vaudeville skits created and performed by undergraduate students.
February 1, 1946: The first of more than 100 World War II surplus trailers appears on campus between Clifton Road and Winship Hall, now the site of Dobbs University Center. "Trailertown," as the area comes to be called, provides housing for the influx of students attending the university on the GI Bill.
February 2, 1947: Emory's Jewish student group, a chapter of Hillel, meets for the first time.
February 3, 1914: Isaac Hopkins, ninth president of Emory College, dies. His interest in technology led him to leave Emory to become the first president of the Georgia Institute of Technology.
February 4, 1948: An editorial in the Emory Wheel, stating that the Clifton Road dorms are "located nearly a mile from University 'civilization,'" demands that the university install street lights to make the dorms safely accessible at night.
February 5, 1998: The Emory Public Interest Committee of the Law School holds its second annual Inspiration Awards, honoring individuals making outstanding contributions to the public interest: the Rev. John Cromartie Jr., Stephen Bright, and Kerry McGrath.
February 6, 1837: The Board of Trustees of Emory College in Oxford holds its first official meeting, providing the impetus for the university's annual Founders Day celebration.
February 7, 1995: The Rev. Jesse Jackson delivers the inaugural address for CULTURES (Center for Urban Learning/Teaching and Urban Research in Education), a program of the Educational Studies Division designed to improve urban education for disadvantaged children.
February 8, 1996: The university launches a program in linguistics and introduces the campus community to the discipline with a lecture series titled, "Language in the Modern World."
February 9, 1995: Five years after the founding of the Rollins School of Public Health, Dean Raymond Greenberg the presides at the dedication of the young and growing school's Grace Crum Rollins Building.
February 10, 1840: Emory's second president, Augustus Baldwin Longstreet, makes his inaugural address to the members of the Oxford community. The next year, Emory sends forth its first graduating class.
February 11, 1923: An article by Peggy (Margaret) Mitchell, author of "Gone with the Wind," appears in the Atlanta Journal. The article, "Atlanta Man Just Missed Tutankhamen," reports that Candler Professor W.A. Shelton, while obtaining Egyptian artifacts for what later becomes Emory's Michael C. Carlos Museum, had come "within a hair's breath" of Tutankhamen's tomb. It says Shelton instead found the lipstick of Tut's grandmother-in-law.
February 12, 1834: Two years before Emory's founding, the Southern Recorder publishes an address by our future first president, Ignatius Few, regarding the advantages and virtues of the proposed Manual Labor School of the Methodist Church.
February 13, 2009: Emory hosts poet Elizabeth Alexander, who reads her work "Praise Song for the Day," written for Barack Obama's inauguration as U.S. President the previous month, as well as "The Elders," which she wrote to commemorate her visit to our campus.
February 14, 1854: The General Assembly of Georgia grants a charter to the Atlanta Medical College, which later becomes the Emory School of Medicine.
February 15, 1883: Emory College holds its first class tree-planting ceremony, a tradition that will continue until the school moves to Atlanta in 1919.
February 16, 1989: Emory hosts the university's first annual Heritage Homecoming Weekend.
February 17, 1999: Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter and South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu, both Emory faculty members, fill Cannon Chapel to capacity as they sit together to discuss efforts of peace building.
February 18, 1919: Dean Howard Odum presents a recommendation to the Board of Trustees for the founding of a "school of economics and business administration" at Emory. The school is organized the following fall.
February 19, 1943: Because "news [is] at an all-time low," the Emory Wheel is issued as a four-page production. On the same date in 1948, the Wheel reports that the installation of a modern conveyor belt in the university cafeteria has made dining there a more pleasant experience.
February 20, 1915: The Educational Commission of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, approves the charter granted by Judge Reid to Emory University.
February 21, 1987: The Georgia Freight Depot hosts Emory's Sesquicentennial Heritage Ball. At 11:15 p.m., guests are instructed to board Engine 750 to return to Emory for a candlelight dessert bar and live entertainment.
February 22-27, 1982: Emory celebrates its first "Heritage Week," now known as "Founders Week," with the motto: "Emory: in touch with the past, in time with the present, in tune with the future."
February 23, 1923: The first organizational meeting of the Emory Alumni Association is held.
February 24, 1947: A record 1,300 customers are served at the Emory bookstore. The Emory Wheel notes that prices of books will continue to increase as more and more students enroll in campuses across the country; the most expensive book is the advanced organic chemistry text, which costs $8.
February 25, 1852: The cornerstone is laid for a new building on the Oxford campus, one that includes space for a library, laboratories, classrooms, and an auditorium.
February 26, 1926: The Asa Griggs Candler Library is dedicated.
February 27, 1947: An editorial in the Emory Wheel includes this pledge: "I pledge allegiance to the library of Emory University, and to the study for which it stands. One quarter, without procrastination, with A's and B's for all. And keep me safe from sweet spring breezes, slumberous noon classes, flirting co-eds and dull teachers. Amen."
February 28, 1941: The first Dooley's Frolics, now called Dooley's Week, begins. The festival of fun is named for the biology lab skeleton who safeguards the Spirit of Emory.
March 1, 1995: The women's basketball team begins play in its first NCAA Division III tournament.
March 2, 1956: Garrell Noah (1959M) wins a black Ford Thunderbird in a cigarette-filter naming contest sponsored by Viceroy.
March 3, 1955: An article in the Emory Wheel praises the modernity of the University dorms, featuring chartreuse, tomato, sea-foam green, white, red, blue, gray and brown paint throughout the buildings.
March 4, 1950: A performance by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra in Glenn Memorial Auditorium is broadcast on NBC.
March 5, 1971: Life features a three-page article titled "Ape-rating the Tube," arguing that primates at Yerkes Primate Center had demonstrated more enjoyment than humans out of "human" recreation like television.
March 6, 1941: The Emory Wheel reports that it would take a student 93 years to take all the courses in the university catalog averaging nine courses a year.
March 7, 1985: Emory benefactor Robert W. Woodruff, who led The Coca-Cola Company for decades, dies at age 95. Over his life, he directed to Emory more than $230 million in personal gifts or funds from foundations he controlled. Among them, he and his brother George made the landmark $105 million donation in 1979, the largest gift to a university in history at that time.
March 8, 1918: The Emory Glee Club performs the 'Alma Mater' publicly for the first time.
March 9, 1889: The Phi Gamma Society debates the question, "Should less attention be devoted to the study of language in our colleges and more attention be given to the study of sciences?" Under President Warren Candler's administration, the literary societies begin debating issues of contemporary importance in the life of the college.
March 10, 1997: Theater Emory and its Renaissance Repertory Project are featured on National Public Radio.
March 11, 1940: The Surgeon General of the U.S. Army requests the remobilization of the Emory Medical Unit, which had served in the First World War. Dr. Ira Ferguson organizes the unit, which serves in both Algeria and France during World War II. The absence of some medical faculty from campus places a strain on those remaining to teach at the School of Medicine.
March 12, 1929: Formative benefactor Asa Griggs Candler, founder of The Coca-Cola Company, dies at age 78. His offer to donate $1 million in 1914 and his gift of land in Atlanta was pivotal in Emory's development as a university. He served as longtime chair of the Board of Trustees, first for Emory College and later for Emory University.
March 13, 1993: According to the Emory Wheel, this usual day turns unusual with "the storm of a century," a blizzard that buries Atlanta. Emory employees work overtime to ensure that the University runs smoothly and that all patients are cared for.
March 14, 1889: Eminent linguist Kemp Malone (1907C), future president of the Modern Language Association, is born.
March 15, 1956: The Administration Building, which remains unnamed at the request of donor Charles Howard Candler Sr., who preferred anonymity, is dedicated.
March 16, 1855: Students' disgust with subjects they consider uninteresting dates to the early days of Emory College. John Emory Rylander (1855C) writes, "Neither of my texts are agreeable. I don't like mental philosophy, and astronomy tangles my brain ... I wonder if there ever was anybody who had patience enough to spend their time on that mind-confusing book unless they intended to sport among the stars."
March 17, 1915: The Newton County Superior Court in Covington, Georgia, amends the charter of Emory College, based outside of Atlanta in Oxford, to permit it to become a division of Emory University, based in Atlanta.
March 18, 1999: Debates over the possibility of building a parking deck in Lullwater Preserve, a large park-like space on campus where the president's house is located, fill the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
March 19, 1998: President Bill Chace presents the inaugural Pollard Turman Alumni Service Award at the 17th Alumni Assembly. The award is named for J. Pollard Turman 1934C-1936L-1973H, an influential humanitarian whose support of higher education and cultural organizations benefited institutions throughout Georgia.
March 20, 1943: Commencement is held early to celebrate the graduation of the World War II-accelerated class.
March 21, 1962: Emory University files a 'Petition for Declaratory Judgment and Injunction' in order to determine its rights in admitting African American students.
March 22, 2010: Emory celebrates the beginning of its 10th annual Tibet Week. The event is part of the Emory-Tibet Partnership and encourages connections between the Western and Buddhist intellectual traditions through lectures, performances and exhibits of Tibetan culture and traditions.
March 23, 1996: The Hugh F. MacMillan Law Library is dedicated.
March 24, 1955: The Emory Wheel praises the new Coca-Cola vending machine installed in the student center but laments that even after three weeks, "no Cokes had yet been included in the deal."
March 25, 1925: The Emory Glee Club performs its first concert in Washington, D.C. with President and First Lady Coolidge in the audience.
March 26, 1996: Wole Soyinka, Nobel laureate for literature and Woodruff Distinguished Visiting Professor at Emory, reads his work and signs copies of his books at Winship Ballroom.
March 27, 1998: The first annual National Black Herstory Conference and Awards Banquet is held on Emory's campus.
March 28, 1859: Emory student Henry L. Graves notes in his diary that he is already counting the days until the end of the term: nine weeks from tomorrow.
March 29, 1995: U.S. President Bill Clinton and Vice President Al Gore lead an economic summit held at Cannon Chapel.
March 30 1858: George Lovick Pierce Wren (1859C) notes a class lecture on slavery, in which the professor argues that slavery is right per se and slaves receive "many intellectual and religious advantages" through it.
March 31, 1915: The Educational Commission of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, appoints a building committee to develop a plan for campus buildings. Henry Hornbostel, the chosen architect, proposes an Italian Renaissance style for the campus.
April 1, 1915: A ceremony is held at Wesley Memorial Church in downtown Atlanta to celebrate the formal transfer of Emory College in Oxford to Emory University in Atlanta.
April 2, 1918: The Emory Medical Unit is mobilized at Camp Gordon, Georgia, for service during World War I.
April 3, 1944: The ship M.S. Emory Victory is christened and launched at Baltimore shipyards in honor of Emory's role in the war effort as a training center. The ship sees active duty in World War II and later in the Korean War.
April 4, 1998: The Candler Choraliers and Collegium Vocale combine for a performance of Mozart's Requiem to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s death.
April 5, 1929: Emory College's chapter of Phi Beta Kappa is installed in a ceremony under the direction of the fraternity's national President Clark S. Northrup. Dr. Theodore H. Jack, dean of the Graduate School, is elected the first president of the Emory chapter.
April 6, 1995: A groundbreaking ceremony is held for the Goizueta Business School building.
April 7, 1939: Marcus Bartlett (1939C), president of the Emory student body, launches a campaign for a student activities building and gymnasium on campus.
April 8, 1993: Emory benefactor Grace Crum Rollins leads the groundbreaking ceremony for the public health building to be named in her honor.
April 9, 1954: The Phi Beta Kappa Gamma Chapter of Georgia celebrates its 25th anniversary.
April 10, 1996: Work begins on the final phase of cleaning up a toxic chemical dump in Lullwater Preserve.
April 11, 1789: John Emory, future bishop and namesake of the university, is born.
April 12, 2003: The Institute of Liberal Arts celebrates its 50th anniversary.
April 13, 1964: The honorary nursing sorority Sigma Theta Tau installs its Alpha Epsilon Chapter at Emory.
April 14, 1944: Sigma Xi, the honor society for the general sciences, establishes a chapter at Emory with Osborne Quayle, professor of chemistry, serving as the first president.
April 15, 1996: Speaker of the House and Emory alumnus Newt Gingrich (1965C) speaks to the university community about the federal deficit and decentralization.
April 16, 2007: Emory English professor Natasha Trethewey, who then held the Phillis Wheatley Distinguished Chair in Poetry, wins the Pulitzer Prize for her work, "Native Guard."
April 17, 2001: Cherry Logan Emerson Hall, part of the chemistry complex, is dedicated to a standing-room only crowd. The building's namesake was an alumnus who made numerous donations to benefit his alma mater.
April 18, 1936: A team from Emory debates a team from the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., on the question of intramural versus intercollegiate sports. The debate is broadcast nationally on NBC.
April 19, 1860: On his journey to China as a missionary, Young John Allen (1859C) writes, "Breeze good but our direction wrong." Having rounded the Cape of Good Hope, the ship is headed in the direction of Australia instead of Asia.
April 20, 1927: David Alexander Lockmiller (1927C, 1928G) notes in his diary an oration contest on the topic: "Know the South." His favorite classmate wins.
April 21, 2003: Emory announces the addition of a new minor in ethics.
April 22, 1996: Douglas Wallace, Woodruff Professor of Molecular Genetics and chair of the Department of Genetics, delivers the inaugural lecture of the Distinguished Faculty Lecture Series. Wallace speaks on the topic, "Mitochondrial Genes: Transversing through the Ages."
April 23, 2001: The Emory Report confirms the Commencement speaker to be Deborah Lipstadt, Dorot Professor of Modern Jewish History and Holocaust Studies.
April 24, 1947: In an open letter to the Emory community, Goodrich C. Dooley offers himself as a write-in candidate for student council president, pledging, among other things, "to transform The Phoenix into a funny book, featuring Stupor Man."
April 25, 1995: The Association of American Universities admits Emory to its membership. Emory is the first Georgia institution to receive this distinction.
April 26, 2006: Emory University selects its new fight song from among 70 submissions.
April 27, 2000: "Candler School of Theology, and Emory as a whole, is a warm, friendly, affirming place," says South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu, after spending two years here as a visiting professor.
April 28, 1950: After a year and a half of preparation, a new alma mater fails to win adoption.
April 29, 1890: President Warren Candler and the Board of Trustees launch a fund-raising effort to match the gift of $25,000 from the Rev. W.P. Pattillo of Atlanta. After much doubt about the prospect, the effort succeeds.
April 30, 1948: The Emory Concert Band presents its first full and independent concert.
May 1, 1900: The senior class unsuccessfully petitions the faculty for "relief from the gymnasium" in protest of additional requirements in physical education.
May 2, 1814: Methodist Bishop Thomas Coke dies (1814). Years later, it was proposed that a new Methodist institution in Georgia be named in his honor, meaning that Emory, long supported since by Coca-Cola executives, could have become "Coke University."
May 3, 1947: A prank issue of the Emory Wheel appears "suitable for under-the-counter distribution only." The issue includes a menu with "stewed sophomores" and "stuffed shirts (faculty special)." The editor is "Out to Lunch," and his assistant "Inebriate."
May 4, 1972: Emory students participate in National Student Mobilization Day, gathering in anti-war sentiment against the ongoing Vietnam War and learning about alternative forms of protest.
May 5, 1949: In a telegraph to the Emory Wheel, Goodrich C. Dooley announces his arrival on campus the following morning and urges the students to gather to meet him.
May 6, 1943: The Emory Wheel reports that professors have become students. Owing to the addition of a Navy V-12 program at the university, faculty members are taking refresher courses on physics, English, history and math.
May 7, 1950: Goodrich C. Dooley graces the front cover of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Magazine after receiving the key to the city of Atlanta from Mayor William Hartsfield just days before.
May 8, 1959: Ten sororities at Emory receive charters for national status.
May 9, 1994: James T. Laney, at the time Emory president emeritus and ambassador to South Korea, delivers the Commencement address.
May 10, 2004: The Emory Report announces that the Board of Trustees has approved the naming of four of Emory's creeks: Antoinette Candler Creek, Henry Hornbostel Creek, George Cooper Creek, and Ernest Richardson Creek. A call is issued for suggestions of names for the remaining eight nameless creeks on campus.
May 11, 1992: Mikhail Gorbachev, former president of the former USSR, delivers the Commencement address.
May 12, 1914: The faculty grants permission for the formation of an intercollegiate tennis team.
May 13, 1953: The Emory trustees transfer Emory's Valdosta Junior College campus to the University System of Georgia. The campus, which had been part of Emory since 1928, becomes a part of Valdosta State College.
May 14, 1949: Goodrich C. Dooley is abducted from his own Frolics. Subsequent investigation by the Emory Wheel results in his return by students from the Georgia Institute of Technology.
May 15, 1939: The Alumni Council approves the campaign of the student body to build an activity center and gymnasium on campus. The council sets a fund-raising goal of $400,000.
May 16, 1929: The Emory Players perform their first full-length production, 'Seven Keys to Baldpate,' in Emory Auditorium.
May 17, 1962: The Board of Trustees reaffirms its commitment to its origins, writing of "pride in our Methodist origin and in the close and cooperative attitude which has always been evidenced by the leadership of the University and the Church toward each other."
May 18, 1950: An ad appears in the Emory Wheel offering a free trip to Germany with a local businessman over the summer.
May 19, 1869: Chi Phi fraternity founds a chapter at Emory.
May 20, 1929: Dr. Howard Odum, organizing dean of the newly formed university, presents 'The Emory Program,' which outlines the primary features of the new school.
May 21, 1929: Charles Howard Candler Sr. presides over his first meeting as chair of the Board of Trustees. Succeeding his father, Asa, he holds this position until his death 28 years later.
May 22, 1914: The General Conference of the Methodist Church, South, appoints its Educational Commission and charges it with the task of founding two universities under the control of the church. One of these two will become Emory University.
May 23, 1968: Spurred on by the recent assassination of Martin Luther King Jr., CRISIS (Christian Realism Involving Students In Society) meets for the first time to work on hiring practices on campus, open housing, meaningful courses, the slums, black scholarship and faculty, and rural outreach.
May 24, 1884: The first intercollegiate baseball match is held between Emory and the University Baseball Club of Athens.
May 25, 1969: Students interrupt University Worship to protest alleged discrimination against black campus workers. The protest leads to creation of the first African American studies program in the South.
May 26, 1950: The Emory Wheel reports that DVS, Emory's most-secret society, celebrates its 50th anniversary. The society's goal is to serve the Emory community.
May 27, 1955: The Emory Wheel features an article on E.H. Rece, dean of students, and his dream of a fine arts building at the intersection of North Decatur and Clifton Roads. It will be nearly 48 years before his dream is realized.
May 28, 1964: The Emory University Glee Club performs before the Georgia House of Representatives. The House calls the performance "highly entertaining" and "a great tribute to the members of the Glee Club and to the University which they attend."
May 29, 1929: President Harvey Cox honors the late Asa Griggs Candler, benefactor and leader in the development of Emory University, in his annual President’s Report: "The University and Hospital today are immortal monuments to his faith, wisdom, and generosity; without him they might never have existed."
May 30, 1960: The university names its first class of Charles Howard Candler professors.
May 31, 1929: Plans are approved by the Board of Trustees to open a junior college on the Oxford Campus.
June 1, 1920: Howard Odum ends his term as dean of Emory College, and the faculty recognizes his faithful preservation of all the best things of the old Emory in the new university setting.
June 2, 1982: Members of the Emory community gather on McDonough Field to break the entry in the Guinness Book of Records for the largest nonalcoholic toast. The first "Coke Toast" successfully breaks the record with 2,283 participants.
June 3, 1910: President James Dickey, having decided to accept the position of secretary for the Board of Education of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, submits his resignation to the college trustees. The board, however, elects him to serve three more years as president. Dickey stays.
June 4, 1948: Emory's first Ph.D. degree is awarded to biochemistry student Thomas P. Johnston (1940C, 1948G).
June 5, 1925: A campaign for new resources is launched with the slogan "Ten Million in Ten Years." At the same board meeting, Chancellor Warren Candler resolves that a teachers' college be founded at Emory following the completion of the Chemistry Building (later Callaway Center North). Though the resolution is adopted and $1.8 million of the $10 million fund-raising total is allocated for the teachers’ college, the plan is ultimately abandoned because of the Great Depression.
June 6, 1891: The Board of Trustees passes a resolution against "match games" in response to the popularity of the baseball team at Oxford players and spectators are too often absent from campus and are creating too much excitement.
June 7, 1919: In his chancellor's report to the Board of Trustees, Warren Candler reasserts his position that "co-education is a mistaken policy," except in the case of a teachers college.
June 8, 1925: The first official meeting of the Alumni Association is held.
June 9, 1899: The Training School for Preachers, begun under the administration of President Warren Candler, is abolished because of low interest. Classes in law are dropped in a similar fashion three years later because of the opinion that the College should be limited to "academic work." Both theology and law departments are later re-established under President James Dickey.
June 10, 1916: Chancellor Warren Candler reports in a trustees meeting that a contract has been made with Reverend F.H. Shuler of the South Carolina Methodist Conference to campaign for $50,000 for the development of a teachers' college at Emory. The campaign is subsequently dismissed over conflict with other conference colleges.
June 11, 1907: The Emory community resolves to pass a regulation requiring fraternities to delay freshman rush (or "spiking") until three months after a student enters school.
June 12, 1899: The trustees abolish the practice of conferring a Master of Arts degree upon nonresident students by way of examination. The trustees ask the faculty to develop a plan for a regular residence course for that degree. This is the first significant step toward establishment of a graduate school.
June 13, 1899: After the erection of a chapter house by both the Kappa Alpha and Phi Delta Theta fraternities, the trustees ask the faculty to investigate the "club house system," thinking it too dangerous.
June 14, 1994: In a ceremony attended by officials from Emory University and Georgia-Pacific, the Hahn Forest is dedicated as a learning site in honor of Emory trustee and Georgia-Pacific CEO Marshall Hahn.
June 15, 1861: Richard Tarpy Davis (1847C) is chosen as captain of the Confederate "Putnam Light Infantry." He later becomes one of the first Emory alumni to die in the Civil War.
June 16, 1975: Dr. John Harvey Burson III, associate professor of chemical engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology, receives his M.D. degree from Emory. Burson has taken a leave of absence from teaching after becoming seriously interested in medicine while working on a biomedical engineering project.
June 17, 1914: The Educational Commission of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, after ties had been cut with Vanderbilt University, decrees the need for a "Biblical and Theological School" to be established east of the Mississippi no later than October 1. Candler School of Theology opens on September 23.
June 18, 1953: Members of the Emory Glee Club, directed by Malcolm Dewey, arrive in Southampton, England, for the start of their European tour. The club will spend three months giving more than 50 concerts across the continent.
June 19, 1884: The first intercollegiate debate for Emory's literary societies is held against two societies from Mercer University. The subject is, "Should women be allowed to vote under the same conditions as men?" Mercer wins, though history does not record which side Emory took.
June 20, 1890: The college completes repairs on the old technology building to equip it for use as a gymnasium.
June 21, 1982: The Board of Trustees names Richard Ellmann and William Arrowsmith as the first Robert W. Woodruff Professors.
June 22, 1887: President Isaac Hopkins proposes to the trustees that a theological department be added to the college, but the suggestion is not realized until the administration of President Warren Candler.
June 23, 1841: The Old Church at Oxford is dedicated. It serves the College and community over the decades and is used as a hospital during the Civil War.
June 24, 1996: Emory Report outlines plans for Emory's role in helping to host the Atlanta Centennial Olympics Games.
June 25, 1889: The Board of Trustees approves President Candler's proposal that two acres on the western border of the campus at Oxford be cleared for a ball field.
June 26, 1889: Because of his pioneering and experimental work in developing technological education, President Isaac Hopkins is invited to become the first president of the newly founded Georgia School of Technology.
June 27, 1858: Reflecting on his Emory experience, student Walter Scot Bird writes a poem to a fellow classmate: I need not try to count the pleasant hours, / We've spent together in old Emory's bowers; / How oft your song hath fill'd the shady grove, -- / How oft I've heard that singing voice I love.
June 28, 1915: Asa Candler deeds 75 acres located six miles northeast of downtown Atlanta to the university.
June 29, 1927: After eating dinner in the cafeteria, David Alexander Lockmiller (1927C, 1928G) notes, "We are having fair eats." His definition? "Plenty of iced tea."
June 30, 1947: After being cited for traffic violation, student Kenneth McLean is dismissed from Emory altogether because he continues to recklessly operate a motor vehicle after being banned from campus driving.
July 1, 1943: Emory officially begins a program for medical training for the Army and Navy. Trainees live on campus like students, and Emory faculty members are employed to teach the recruits.
July 2, 1926: During its first concert tour of Europe, the Emory University Glee Club sings in Bristol, England. Reserve tickets cost 2 shillings, 4 pence (about $6).
July 3, 1918: During World War I, the Emory Medical Unit is activated in Blois, France, and remains active for over six months, treating 9,034 patients at a mortality rate of only one percent.
July 4, 1879: Luther Smith, the first Emory graduate to serve as its president, dies.
July 5, 1993: The Emory Report runs a story on the newly formed Emory First Responder Unit, later renamed Emory Emergency Medical Services, a student-operated EMS unit.
July 6, 2007: Tenzin Gyatso (1998H) is born (1935). The person recognized as the XIV Dalai Lama is named as an Emory Presidential Distinguished Professor in 2007.
July 7, 1926: The Emory University Glee Club sings an "additional concert owing to sensational success" at Queen's Hall during their first tour of Europe.
July 8, 1902: The board elects James E. Dickey, an Emory College alumnus, as the school's president. He serves as the last president of Emory College in Oxford, and the first president of Emory University.
July 9, 1870: Augustus Baldwin Longstreet, second president of Emory College, dies. Emory graduated its first class (featuring three students) during his term.
July 10, 1947: An ad in the Emory Wheel invites interested students to contact Frank Collins (1948C, 1952D, 1967D) with regard to beginning a full symphonic orchestra.
July 11, 1949: Construction resumes on the Student Activities Center, later part of the Dobbs University Center. Construction had been temporarily halted due to a run on marble.
July 12, 1945: The Emory Wheel reports that 70 percent of students oppose the College's policy of mandatory class attendance.
July 13, 2004: President James Wagner presents a code of ethics developed by the Emory community.
July 14, 1895: Bishop Nolan B. Harmon (1919T) is born and will become one of Emory's oldest professors by the time he retires at age 98.
July 15, 1943: Two students named "George Edward Tanner" are shown on the front page of the Emory Wheel. Both are enrolled in Emory's V-12 program.
July 16, 1914: The Educational Commission of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, meets in Atlanta, and the Chamber of Commerce pledges $500,000 if the church's new university is established in Atlanta. Asa Griggs Candler pledges an additional $1 million.
July 17, 1853: The cornerstone is laid for Emory's first stone building, the Administration Building, at Oxford to house the library, classrooms, auditorium, and science demonstration halls.
July 18, 1996: Emory community members watch the Olympic Torch relay of the Atlanta Centennial Games pass through campus.
July 19, 1859: The Board of Trustees elects to close all campus dormitories because they have become "facilities for mischief." Students move in with faculty members and town residents.
July 20, 1944: The Emory Wheel reports that the University is installing an electric bell system to replace the erratic clock system. New hope is expressed that clocks will be synchronized across campus.
July 21, 1993: The Board of Trustees approves the revision of the Equal Opportunity Policy statement to add the phrase "sexual orientation."
July 22, 1840: The Board of Trustees passes a resolution stating that all the assets of the Georgia Manual Labor School are to be transferred to Emory College, and that the College will assume the stewardship of both institutions.
July 23, 1928: The Emory University Glee Club performs in the London Coliseum.
July 24, 1927: Faculty members of Emory's Library School, formerly the Carnegie Library School operated by Atlanta's Carnegie Library, prepare to open for the school's first session on Emory's campus the next day.
July 25, 1950: A switchboard is installed in the Student Activities Center, later the Dobbs University Center, marking the opening of the building for use.
July 26, 1961: Cecil Farris Bryant (1931-32), who later becomes the 34th governor of Florida, is born.
July 27, 1948: Emory University conveys 15 acres of land to the federal government for the building of what will become the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
July 28, 1975: The Campus Report announces the construction of a new "arts and sciences learning center," which becomes White Hall, featuring a classroom with 294 seats, the latest audio-visual and computer equipment, and administrative offices.
July 29, 1858: The secret society of the Mystic Seven holds its last meeting after Emory College becomes the first college in the country to banish fraternities from its campus. Students appeal this decision after the Civil War, and in 1869 two fraternities are instated on campus.
July 30, 2003: James W. Wagner is named Emory University president at a special meeting of the Board of Trustees.
July 31, 1947: Tents appear on the lawn behind the Church School Building, and speculations abound as to the identity of their occupants. Among the theories is the notion that they are the work of men from Mars. The Emory Wheel runs this comment: "The Physics department pointed out that inter-planet traveling from Mars was largely confined to the Spring, due to strong headwinds. However, a message from the moon in the new radar code said tersely, 'One of our space ships is missing.'"
August 1, 1922: Marion Luther Brittain (1886C, 1928H) is the second Emory alumnus, after Isaac Hopkins (1858C), to be elected president of the Georgia Institute of Technology.
August 2, 2010: The Emory Report features an article on Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing faculty member Joyce King and her summer adventures across the United States. On her 60th birthday, King began cycling across the country.
August 3, 1950: The Emory Wheel reports that the Emory swim team has entered the Havalanta Games, a swim competition between teams from pools in Atlanta and in Havana, Cuba.
August 4, 1914: Plato Tracy Durham is elected the first dean of the Candler School of Theology.
August 5, 1914: The trustees of Emory College at Oxford approve the plan for joining the new university in Atlanta as its arts and sciences division.
August 6, 1945: Methodist minister Kiyoshi Tanimoto (1940T, 1986H) stands some 3,500 yards from "ground zero" of the atomic blast at Hiroshima. He later becomes famous as a subject of John Hershey's 'Hiroshima' (1946) about survivors of the bombing, and works extensively to help the Hiroshima Maidens and promote peace.
August 7, 1998: Wallace H. Coulter who developed the "Coulter Principle," dies at age 85. Emory's joint program with Georgia Institute of Technology in biomedical engineering is named in his honor.
August 8, 1902: Professor Andrew Sledd writes a letter of resignation to the Board of Trustees following the controversy surrounding his publication of an article in The Atlantic Monthly addressing racial issues.
August 9, 1946: Fire breaks out at the Chi Phi fraternity, and members of the various fraternities are called upon to help put it out.
August 10, 1839: The first meeting of the Few Society literary club, named in honor of College President Ignatius Few, is held.
August 11, 2003: "W32.Blaster," a computer worm, sends Emory Information Technology staff racing around campus to attend to infected computers.
August 12, 1974: The Campus Report features a letter from an elementary school student to Yerkes Primate Center chimpanzee Lana. The animal received worldwide recognition for her ability to communicate with researchers through a computer.
August 13, 2008: Emory University opens an exhibit on the bombing of The Temple, Atlanta's oldest Reform Jewish house of worship. Bombed 50 years earlier, The Temple became a center of civil rights discussion within the Atlanta community.
August 14, 1998: The class of entering college freshmen reaches 1,348 students, setting a record for highest enrollment in the history of Emory.
August 15, 1958: Henry King Stanford (1936C, 1940G), president of Birmingham-Southern College, delivers the commencement address (during an interval when Emory held graduation ceremonies in June and August). Coincidentally, Birmingham College had been the major competitor with Emory College as the core around which the the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, proposed to build a new university in 1914.
August 16, 1905: The precursor to the Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing opens in downtown Atlanta on the campus of Wesley Memorial Hospital. When the hospital moves to the Emory campus in 1922, the school becomes the Emory University School of Nursing; in 1967, the name is changed to its current designation.
August 17, 1997: The 1525 Clifton Building opens as a new center for Emory's growing programs in health care.
August 18, 1996: Emory hosts the bocce ball competition of the Atlanta Paralympic Games, held soon after the Centennial Olympic Games.
August 19, 1943: The Emory Wheel features a picture and an article regarding Seaman Charles William Dooley, a new student from Kentucky. Mr. Dooley is initially perplexed about the "other" Dooley, the biology lab skeleton who safeguards the Spirit of Emory. "I've seen the name more than once around Emory, and I couldn't understand who he was," the student said. "There aren't many Dooleys, you know. I actually looked in the student handbook to see if he was a professor."
August 20, 2010: The sustainably designed Longstreet-Means Hall, named for two of Emory's 19th-century presidents, opens to freshmen as one of the first buildings in Georgia to take advantage of captured grey-water.
August 21, 1947: Veterans Housing Manager R.S. Pendleton refuses to install fire extinguishers in apartments, saying students can jump out the window in case of fire.
August 22, 1953: Omer Clyde Aderhold, president of the University of Georgia, delivers the commencement address (during an interval when Emory held graduation ceremonies in June and August).
August 23, 1963: President Sanford Atwood and his family become the inaugural Emory first family to move into Lullwater House.
August 24, 1951: University of Tennessee president Andrew David Holt delivers the commencement address (during an interval when Emory held graduation ceremonies in June and August).
August 25, 1997: U.S. News and World Report ranks Emory as the ninth best national university, according to Emory Report.
August 26, 1996: Phase II of the Atlanta Project, a collaborative endeavor between Emory and The Carter Center, is introduced.
August 27, 2003: Physics Department hosts a party with live feed from its telescope of images of the Red Planet. Viewers see Mars and Earth at their closest point in 59,000 years.
August 28, 1943: Emory swim team wins its first Amateur Athletic Union title.
August 29, 1946: Letter received in Registrar's Office, and addressed to Emory student Alexander Mavro to translate, decries "British opposition" in Greece.
August 30, 1851: The Phi Gamma literary society holds its first meeting in its new hall.
August 31, 2005: According to a National Geographic article, scientists at Emory's Yerkes National Primate Research Center conclude that humans are 96 percent similar to chimpanzees.
September 1, 1982: Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter joins the Emory University faculty as University Distinguished Professor.
September 2, 1989: Soviet citizen Olga Grushin arrives in the United States to enroll at Emory University. Ms. Grushin will pursue a full college degree in the U.S.
September 3, 1884: George Foster Pierce, third president of Emory College and the school's first to be educated in Georgia, dies.
September 4, 1995: Shortly after the law library opens bearing Hugh F. McMillan's name, he dies at age 85.
September 5, 1995: His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama, on his second visit to Emory's campus, speaks to a full house of several thousand people at Woodruff Physical Education Center. This is the first step in creating the Emory-Tibet Partnership.
September 6, 1992: Christopher McCandless, also known as Alex Supertramp, is found dead in Alaska. McCandless graduated from Emory, gave away all his money, and spent subsequent two years hiking around the country and living in the wilderness. His story, "Into the Wild," became a film of the same name.
September 7, 2010: Emory opens an Islamic Calligraphy and Qur'an exhibit at the Michael C. Carlos Museum.
September 8, 1995: James W. Curran becomes the second dean of the Rollins School of Public Health.
September 9, 2004: Emory acquires the Raymond Danowski Poetry Library, including more than 50,000 books and thousands of periodicals, manuscripts and correspondence.
September 10, 2004: In a medical first, a patient is diagnosed from a brain biopsy with extremely rare Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease.
September 11, 2001: President Bill Chace suspends academic operations at noon due to national shock after terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon.
September 12, 1996: Board of Trustees approves Billy Frye to the post of Chancellor beginning the following June.
September 13, 1853: Student describes his studies at Emory, "dark, yet pleasant road of science and literature."
September 14, 1993: Emory President James T. Laney is confirmed as U.S. ambassador to South Korea.
September 15, 1962: Georgia Supreme Court rules on Emory's admission policies: private educational institutions have the freedom to admit applicants on the basis of merit alone, regardless of race.
September 16, 2000: Miller-Ward Alumni House is dedicated.
September 17, 1838: Fifteen students attend first day of class at Emory College.
September 18, 2003: This day marks the first of Emory's revamped Homecoming Weekends.
September 19, 1941: Elmer becomes "the First and Only Dummy in the Air Corps" as Emory student brings his ventriloquist along with him to the Air Corps.
September 20, 1957: Candler School of Theology consecrates Bishops Hall.
September 21, 1956: Fire burns Administration Building; four days later, Hurricane Flossie rains further damage the roofless building.
September 22, 1930: Bobby Jones, Emory alumnus, graces front cover of Time, after winning Grand Slam. He remains the only person to ever win all four major golf tournaments in one year.
September 23, 1914: Emory University's Candler School of Theology opens its doors.
September 24, 1996: Classes begin for the third annual MiniMedical School at Emory.
September 25, 1941: Bishop Warren Akin Candler, president of Emory College from 1888-98 and first chancellor of the university, dies at age 85.
September 26, 2005: Emory launches a 10-year strategic plan called "Where Courageous Inquiry Leads."
September 27, 1944: World War II Emory medical unit is established at Aix-en-Provence in France.
September 28, 1876: Professor H. A. Scomp is elected as librarian and begins program to catalog and reorganize volumes.
September 29, 1940: Glenn Memorial Church Building is dedicated.
September 30, 1981: William R. Cannon Chapel is consecrated.
October 1, 1986: U.S. President Ronald Reagan speaks at The Carter Center dedication on Jimmy Carter's birthday.
October 2, 1944: Emory Medical School admits first female candidates.
October 3, 1940: The Emory Wheel reports that, with ingenuity and grit, a student raises worms and collects garbage to pay his way through school.
October 4, 1931: Glenn Memorial auditorium and church is dedicated in memory of Reverend Wilbur Fisk Glenn.
October 5, 1954: The School of Medicine celebrates the centennial anniversary of its founding organization, the Atlanta Medical College.
October 6, 1949: Emory becomes one of the first universities in the nation to have a facsimile machine, acquired by the Division of Journalism.
October 7, 1978: Candler School of Theology students, not deterred by lack of space on bulletin board, tape announcements to the marble stand and bust of Bishop Warren Akin Candler.
October 8, 1937: The Haygood-Hopkins Memorial Gateway is dedicated in honor of two 19th-century Emory College presidents.
October 9, 1997: The Halle Institute for Global Learning is dedicated.
October 10, 1946: A woman visiting her sister at the hospital comes out to parking lot and discovers her vehicle missing. A few days later, the car is found in the creek along Fishburne Drive.
October 11, 1957: Groundbreaking ceremony is held for Henrietta Egleston Hospital for Children.
October 12, 1944: The School of Medicine announces a plan to add a psychiatry department.
October 13, 1955: An editorial in the Emory Wheel claims that the TV tower belonging to nearby WAGA-TV is 1,100 feet tall and over 2,000 feet above sea level, making it one of the world's highest structures.
October 14, 1955: Emory students play their last game of pushball. The innovative game, a tradition at Emory for 30 years, is deemed to be too dangerous.
October 15, 1983: The students of Candler School of Theology participate in an overnight "lock-in" to foster a greater sense of community.
October 16, 1946: The Board of Trustees approves a program of "athletics for all" while continuing to oppose participation in intercollegiate sports for public entertainment.
October 17, 1996: Myrlie Evers-Williams, chairperson of the National Board of Directors for the NAACP, delivers the third annual Rosalynn Carter Distinguished Lecture titled "America is at a Crossroads." She discusses the current state of race relations and urges continued perseverance in the work for civil rights.
October 18, 1996: Emory hosts its first International Awareness Week to highlight the academic programs and co-curricular activities on campus that reflect a global presence.
October 19, 1996: The University Athletic Association, the NCAA Division III conference of which Emory is a member, celebrates its 10th anniversary at Washington University in St. Louis.
October 20, 1942: A certain "Mr. Goodrich C. Dooley" receives notification that he has been selected for Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges.
October 21, 1908: The Davis-Fisher Sanatorium, the predecessor to Crawford W. Long Hospital and, later, Emory University Hospital Midtown, opens its doors for its first patients.
October 22, 1917: Emory alumnus I.R. McLendon (1906C) fires the first American shot of World War I in France.
October 23, 1997: Attorney General Janet Reno delivers the fifth annual Rosalynn Carter distinguished lecture to a full house at Glenn Memorial. Reno speaks on the issue of domestic violence.
October 24, 2003: Emory returns a mummy believed to be that of the Pharaoh Ramesses I to Egypt. Acquired by Emory in 1999 from the Niagara Falls Museum, the mummy is determined, after extensive investigation, to be the grandfather of the Pharaoh of the Exodus story.
October 25, 1941: The first school-sanctioned dance is held on campus.
October 26, 1850: Emory students debate the question: "Should Georgia secede from the Union?" The negative wins.
October 27, 1965: The Yerkes Regional Primate Research Center is dedicated.
October 28, 1948: A political party is formed at Emory called the "Roostercrats."
October 29, 1995: The Emory Conference Center Hotel opens for business.
October 30, 1951: President Goodrich C. White presents a special report, "A Review of Fifteen Years of Progress and a New Program of Development," to the Board of Trustees. The review highlights the doubling of the University's assets within the preceding 15 years and outlines plans for a similar expansion in the subsequent 10 years.
October 31, 1901: President Charles Dowman is chosen to represent Emory at the Association of Colleges and Preparatory Schools of the Southern States.
November 1, 1945: The Navy V-12 training program at Emory officially ends with 2,000 trainees having completed their curricula at the university.
November 2, 1941: Writer Carl Sandburg comes to Emory to speak on the "laughter of Lincoln."
November 3, 1936: This day marks the first of the annual Parents Day (later Family Day) activities.
November 4, 1835: Founding president Ignatius Few makes an address to the Board of Trustees regarding his aspirations to enlarge the Georgia Manual Labor School into a college.
November 5, 1997: The President's Commission on the Status of Women hosts "Steel Magnolias: A Tribute to Southern Women," featuring Rosalynn Carter, Rosa Parks, Coretta Scott King, and Alice Walker.
November 6, 1939: Thomas English's class "Wordsworth and Coleridge" is interrupted by a plane flying over Emory dropping leaflets. According to the Emory Wheel, Dr. English says, "My curiosity prevails over my scholarship," as he stops class to peer out the window.
November 7, 1946: Kilroy is here! The cheery head, popular among U.S. soldiers serving in World War II, announces in the Emory Wheel that he has made Emory his new home and Dooley his new roommate.
November 8, 1979: The $105 million Woodruff gift, the largest benefaction to American higher education to date, is announced.
November 9, 2001: Item number 100,001, a second edition of John and Charles Wesley's Hymns on the Lord's Supper (1747), is added to Special Collections at the Pitts Theology Library.
November 10, 1949: The Rich Memorial Building of the Business School is officially dedicated "to the development of Southern leadership in the field of business."
November 11, 1955: The student body votes to abolish the Emory Student Government Association and to establish the College Council and the University Senate in its place.
November 12, 1925: The major headline of the Emory Wheel reads, "Emory Engages Oxford Debators as First International Opponents." Emory, true to its debating spirit, forms the majority of the winning team.
November 13, 2000: Giving the Rosalynn Carter Distinguished Lecture in Public Policy, Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor urges women to enter business.
November 14, 1947: The Emory Concert Band makes its debut.
November 15, 1957: Walter Martin is inaugurated as president of the university; the Charles Howard Candler Professorship program begins during his term. Six years later, Sanford Atwood is inaugurated on the same date (1963); the "God is dead" controversy emerges during his term.
November 16, 2006: The Woodruff Foundation announces a gift of $261.5 million to Emory over a four-year period in order to enhance the Emory Clinic, create a Presidential Fund for the university strategic plan, and renovate the Woodruff Health Sciences Center Administration Building.
November 17, 1865: The Board of Trustees meets at the end of the Civil War to determine what can be salvaged from the campus's wartime condition.
November 18, 1949: Emory's pushball, an icon of early 20th-century college sports, is recovered from its hiding place in the steeple of Glenn Memorial Church.
November 19, 1955: Far-away Macon, Georgia, hears about the new Emory policy to abandon pushball, and its Macon Telegraph newspaper features a photograph of the equipment with a "For Sale" sign.
November 20, 1906: The faculty approves the founding of a non-secret society, Alpha Epsilon Upsilon. This organization, a functional precursor to Phi Beta Kappa, invites juniors and seniors with a grade average above 92.5 to join.
November 21, 1845: Ignatius A. Few, first president of Emory College, dies.
November 22, 1997: Emory hosts the 23rd annual conference of the Association for Moral Education with the theme: "Voices of Care and Justice: Enhancing the Dialogue Among Theorists, Researchers, and Practitioners."
November 23, 1987: The Boisfeullet Jones Center opens as a center for prospective and current students, housing Admissions, the Bursar's Office, the Registrar, and Financial Aid. The center is named in honor of Boisfeuillet Jones (1934C, 1937L) alumnus, longtime university administrator, and member of the Board of Trustees.
November 24, 1933: The Emory Glee Club sings for President Franklin Roosevelt at a dedication ceremony in Warm Springs, Georgia.
November 25, 1880: Emory President Atticus Haygood preaches "New South" Thanksgiving sermon that celebrates the improving conditions of the South and the clearing of its moral conscience after the destruction of slavery. George Seney, a banker from New York, acquires a printed copy of the sermon and, after meeting with Haygood personally, begins to endow the College.
November 26, 1909: Dooley's first letter appears in the Emory Phoenix.
November 27, 1989: The U.S. space shuttle Discovery lands in California with Emory alumnus Manley L. "Sonny" Carter aboard.
November 28, 1949: Emory student William Jones (1954T) is featured in Life's article on "Odd Scholarships." When his younger brother Melvin died prematurely, the community set up a scholarship in his memory for a young man pursuing a vocation in ministry. The issue also features a picture of alumnus Alben Barkley.
November 29, 1902: The Joint College Conference (Emory, Mercer, and UGA) agrees upon a system of joint admission requirements for prospective students, including examinations in English, mathematics, Greek and Roman history, Greek, French, German, and physical geography.
November 30, 1861: The Trustees vote to close the college for a year as the Civil War deprives the campus of its students and its funds.
December 1, 1939: As part of the University Center campaign effort, the School of Medicine receives $250,000 as an endowment for the Joseph B. Whitehead chair of surgery.
December 2, 1875: Atticus Greene Haygood (1859C), who delivered the "New South" sermon that won pivotal support for Emory College, is elected as president of his alma mater.
December 3, 1915: Dr. Edgar Johnson begins his term as the interim president of Emory College, the last person to preside over the college in Oxford (1915). The following June, his title is changed from president to dean. Johnson holds this executive office until the college is officially transferred to Atlanta in 1919.
December 4, 1936: The Centennial celebration of Emory College begins. In its first century, Emory enrolled 20,251 students and awarded 8,559 degrees.
December 5, 1955: After Georgia Governor Marvin Griffin prohibits sports teams at state universities from competing in racially integrated contests, a small group of Emory students rallies in protest and burns the governor in effigy.
December 6, 1889: Robert Winship Woodruff, future president of The Coca-Cola Company and a key benefactor of Emory University, is born.
December 7, 1939: The Emory Wheel announces that Margaret Mitchell presented numerous foreign editions of her 1936 work Gone with the Wind to the university library.
December 8, 1837: The first faculty members of Emory College are elected by the Board of Trustees.
December 9, 1941: Judge John Slaughter Candler, one of the founders of the School of Law and first president of the Emory Alumni Association, dies only a few months after his brother, Bishop Warren Candler.
December 10, 1836: The Georgia General Assembly grants the Georgia Methodist Conference a charter to establish a college named for the late bishop John Emory.
December 11, 1997: A memorial service is held for research assistant Beth Griffin after she dies from a Herpes B infection acquired while handling macaques at Yerkes Primate Center.
December 12, 1919: The first edition of the Emory Wheel is published.
December 13, 1925: The Emory Glee Club's first annual Christmas program -- now the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols -- is held at Atlanta's First Presbyterian Church.
December 14, 1855: The resignation of President Alexander Means takes effect, and the Board of Trustees elects the Reverend James Thomas as his successor.
December 15, 1925: The Emory forensic team opens its season with its first intercollegiate debate. Students debate with those from the University of Alabama over the desirability of a World Court.
December 16, 1950: Emory University Law School Alumni Association is formally recognized.
December 17, 1991: Historian Comer Vann Woodward (1930C), author of Pulitzer Prize-winning Mary Chestnut's Civil War, dies at age 91.
December 18, 1834: The Georgia General Assembly grants a charter for the Georgia Methodist Conference Manual Labor School, where students can combine farm work with college preparatory education. This school is the predecessor to Emory College.
December 19, 1955: Emory University professor George P. Cuttino appears on the cover of Time as the star of the play "The Man Who Cam to Dinner" by George S. Kaufman and Moss Hart.
December 20, 1854: The Board of Trustees allows Emory president Alexander Means to accept a professorship at the Atlanta Medical College, a predecessor to Emory's School of Medicine. Means holds both positions for a year before resigning from the presidency to devote himself to teaching medicine.
December 21, 1943: The short-lived tradition of Christmas Frolics begins with Cokes and gifts for all.
December 22, 1925: Dooley notes that during final exam periods, students conclude that the poet was wrong to say "ignorance is bliss."
December 23, 1839: The town of Oxford, Georgia, developing around the campus of Emory College, is incorporated by an act of legislature with the signature of Governor Charles J. McDonald.
December 24, 1927: James T. Laney, who presided over significant growth as Emory's 17th president, is born.
December 25, 1827: Future Emory professor and president Alexander Means marries S.A.E. Winston.
December 26, 1930: Future Emory student, Rhodes Scholar, and Congressman Elliot Levitas (1952C, 1956L) is born.
December 27, 1859: En route to China as a missionary, and on treacherous seas, Emory alumnus Young J. Allen (1858C) writes, "Thoughts return often homeward ... In the Lord I put my trust."
December 28, 1955: A new parking deck opens behind the hospital with spaces for 300 cars. Parking rates: 25 cents an hour, plus five cents for each additional hour.
December 29, 1962: Business Week features an article on "Greasy Kid Stuff," a new hair product born out of the ingenuity of Emory student William Cole and his friend Larry Frohman. After watching a Bristol-Myers Vitalis ad criticizing generic hair oil, greasy kid stuff, they decided to capitalize on the ad and market their own greasy kid stuff.
December 30, 1851: Asa Griggs Candler, future founder of the Coca-Cola Company and Emory University benefactor, is born.
December 31, 1987: The front page of the Metro section of the Atlanta Journal features a controversy surrounding the use of a photo of Lullwater House by Publishers Clearinghouse without permission. The photo appeared in an ad, and Emory complains that, even though the building is unlabeled, the ad falsely implies that the university is affiliated with the business.